Company History

2013

  • Gilbarco Veeder-Root launches a new range of Singles and Duals, the Frontier Europe and Endura, for the retail and commercial markets
  • Gilbarco Veeder-Root finalises the purchase of AFS Group, a leading provider of fuel management technologies and services to the South African market

2012

  • Gilbarco Veeder-Root Europe finalises purchase of Acis, a leading forecourt and maintenance provider in Central Eastern Europe
  • Launch of Applause Europe, a multimedia screen for the SK700-II and Horizon

2011

  • Salzkotten begins manufacturing the Horizon dispenser

2010

  • Gilbarco Veeder-Root acquires Fafnir GmbH, a specialist in the development of sensors and systems for monitoring and measuring liquid levels and vapor flow
  • Gilbarco was first in the industry to announce UL listing for E85 (85% ethanol) dispensers and blenders
  • Gilbarco FlexPay™ EMV CRIND® processed North America’s first EMV transactions at the pump in Montreal, Quebec
  • Passport® point of sale system’s unique architecture separated c-store POS systems functions from audited payment applications, helping it become the first POS to achieve PA-DSS validated applications on all the industry’s networks
  • Gilbarco acquired the Petroleum Dispensing Pump Business Unit of Larsen & Toubro Limited, Mumbai, India

2009

  • The Payment Card Industry Security Standards Council validated the Passport point of sale system’s Enhanced Dispenser Hub as compliant with the Payment Application Data Security Standard (PA-DSS)
  • Gilbarco shipped the first Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) dispensers designed for North America
  • Gilbarco introduced the Gasboy PLUS series fleet management systems
  • Gilbarco installed the first Wisdom™ Intelligent Device Management systems, enabling retailers to remotely manage all the systems and devices at their stores

2008

  • Gilbarco® FlexPay™ Encrypting PIN Pads won CSP Magazine’s Retailer Choice Best New Product. It provided the first cost-effective way for retailers to comply with Payment Card Industry requirements
  • The industry’s first and best website, www.AskAboutPCI.com, made its debut, educating retailers about payment compliance
  • Gilbarco Veeder-Root’s Greensboro factory was featured on The Travel Channel’s “Made In America”
  • Gilbarco acquired Autotank Group of Tampere, Finland, the leading maker of Outdoor Payment Terminals used across Europe

2007

  • Applause™ Media System enabled retailers to feature advanced, colorful merchandising at the pump and provide coupons and other valuable information to fueling customers
  • Gilbarco introduced the Express Ordering™ self-service foodservice system for convenience stores
  • The company hosted its first Retail Solutions Users’ Conference in Pinehurst, NC

2006

  • The Mexican government approved Encore S for their dispenser replacement program

2005

  • Gilbarco Veeder-Root introduces the industry’s first integrated contactless smart card reader for gas pumps, approved for MasterCard PayPass, ExpressPay from American Express and Visa

2004

  • The Gilbarco FlexPay™ Outdoor Payment Terminal was awarded EuroPay MasterCard Visa (EMV) and Visa International certification for use in Europe
  • DOMS, a leading provider of European forecourt controllers based in Denmark, joined the Gilbarco Veeder-Root family through acquisition
  • The company hosted its first Retail Solutions Users’ Conference in Pinehurst, NC

2003

  • Danaher Corporation acquires Gasboy International Inc. ("Gasboy"). Gasboy operations are relocated to Greensboro, NC and merged with Gilbarco Veeder-Root

2002

  • Gilbarco and Veeder-Root join forces under a unified marketing brand as the world leader in retail petroleum products and services, submerged turbine pumps, and retail automation systems
  • The Gilbarco® brand and companies are acquired by the Danaher Corporation, parent company of Veeder-Root® company and the Red Jacket® brands

1999

  • New Passport® POS announced with intuitive, graphical user interface
  • Encore® dispensers announced, heralding a new generation of electronic, web-capable dispensers
  • Gilbarco demonstrates interactive merchandising content on a gas pump via the web
  • Gilbarco demonstrates web-based remote diagnostics and software upgrades
  • Acquistion and merger announced with Logitron Latin America, now known as Gilbarco Latin America, and offices opened in Mexico

1998

  • Pumapro™ POS introduced Europe, South America, and Asia
  • SK98™ and Enterprise™ dispensers introduced by Gilbarco Germany (Salzkotten)
  • Japanese LLMPD introduced by Gilbarco Australia

1997

  • TRIND® announced, using RFID (radio frequency identification system) for cashless, wireless payment
  • Unattended fueling using G-SITE introduced
  • Gilbarco acquired Germany's leading manufacturer of petroleum dispensing equipment, Tankanlagen Salzkotten
  • Gilbarco acquired Logitron, the leading Italian supplier of forecourt services, fuel dispensing equipment, and retail automation products

1995

  • Gilbarco introduced its new PC-based G-SITE® POS system

1994

  • Infoscreen® interactive color display introduced on The Advantage® Series Dispensers

1993

  • VaporVac® introduced as a vapor recovery system that helps reclaim gasoline vapors emitted while fueling

1990

  • The Advantage® Series dispensers introduced by Gilbarco Inc. in North America
  • Euroline™ dispensers introduced by Gilbarco Ltd in the UK
  • Historic partnership established that created the Beijing Chang Gi Service Station Equipment Company in the Peoples Republic of China (Gilbarco China)

1988

  • Advanced blender technology introduced that replaced mechanical blending hardware with newer electronic blending technology

1987

  • Gilbarco acquired by the General Electric Company plc of the UK

1986

  • Pay-at-the pump technologies pioneered, featuring built-in credit/debit card reader system called CRIND®
  • Puma Host family of pump controllers and POS systems introduced by Italian-based Logitron, srl

1979

  • The Multi-Product Dispenser® (MPD®) is introduced by Gilbarco, offering motorists unprecedented fueling convenience in one location

1965

  • Gilbert and Barker Manufacturing Company relocated headquarters and US manufacturing facility to Greensboro, North Carolina
  • Gilbert and Barker Manufacturing Company officially changes its corporate name to Gilbarco

1962

  • G & B consolidates and opens operations in UK

1961

  • Gilbarco opens operations in South Africa

1955

  • Licensees manufacture Gilbarco pumps in Brazil, Germany, Italy, Denmark, Holland, India, and France

1945

  • G & B begins sales and service in the UK from several locations near London

1935

  • 'Gilbarco' registered as trademark with US Patent & Trademark Office
  • Gilbert & Barker introduce the first computing pump

1930

  • G & B announced first electric meter pump

1929

  • Gilbarco Australia established
  • 'Gilbarco' brand first appears

1912

  • Gilbert & Barker Manufacturing Co. relocates to new factory in West Springfield, Massachusetts, to manufacture measuring and visible pumps

1911

  • Gilbert & Barker introduced first measuring gasoline pump

1910

  • Gilbert & Barker designed and manufactured its first petroleum pump the T-1, used push-pull motion to draw gasoline from an underground tank for fueling automobiles

1903

  • Ford Motor Company founded in Detroit, Michigan

1884

  • Gilbert & Barker Manufacturing Co. acquired by Standard Oil Company (Standard Oil Company later becomes Exxon)

1880

  • Electric light bulb invented by Thomas Edison

1876

  • German Scientist Nikolaus Otto invented the 4-piston internal combustion engine

1870

  • Charles Gilbert and John Barker’s partnership was incorporated as the Gilbert & Barker Manufacturing Co. of Springfield, Massachusetts
  • Sir Hiram Maxim (inventor of the Maxim machine gun) hired to create engineering drawings for Gilbert & Barker

1865

  • Charles Gilbert and John Barker partnered to build the "Springfield Gas Machine" that converted crude petroleum distillates into a gas vapor used to light buildings. The partners also designed distribution systems to safely distribute this lighting fuel (naptha) to individual lamps. Their first factory was a wood-frame building 18' x 42'