5 Ways to Get Females to Spend Money at Your Business
The female economy. To channel my best Donald Trump: “It’s huge!” Did you know that women control over $20 TRILLION in annual global consumer spending? Harvard Business Review states that the “she-conomy” is 2x larger than China and India combined. It’s well-documented that greater than 85% of all household decisions are influenced by a female – that means cars, electronics, furniture, groceries and gas.
I reference all of these statistics to impress upon site owners how important the female consumer is to their revenue! Again, females control 85% of consumer purchases, and gasoline, and convenience items (such as sodas, coffee, candy bars, etc.) are included in that figure.
Given the enormous size of the female buying power, when considering maintenance or upgrades to your site, make sure you include the female perspective. Think about what draws this buying segment into stores.
Speaking as a female, below I have listed my 5 criteria when looking for a convenience store:
- Clean – Is your site clean? If it looks dark, dim, with oil stains … Ewwwwww. Hitting the gas pedal - not stopping.
- Secure – Women worry about their safety. Not to belabor the Point #1 but the level of cleanliness indicates to us the level of security too.
- Modern – Reports show that sites with new technology and bright lighting increase sales from the female consumer. It’s true; so true!
- Experience - Are you entertaining me? We can’t talk on cell phones while pumping gas, so give us something to do. Entertain us! It’s a delight for me to pull up to a station with TV at the pump… and those Snickers ads get me every time!
- Fresh Food - What type of food do you have? Is it fresh? Who doesn’t love a candy bar, but your female customers often prefer made to order items! Give us the option to order it from the pump, and it’s a double homerun!
Gilbarco offers several options for upgrading your site including payment, pump and food products. Check it out at Gilbarco.com.